Thursday, February 10, 2011

On Today's Plate: Fish and Chips

Ok, so maybe not, since nothing here is deep fried, or beer battered, but it's so much better than calling it "steamed tilapia and potato sticks"

"Fish and Chips"...sort of...because I say it is! :-P

Ingredients:
1 tilapia fillet
1 potato
ground pepper
paprika
garlic (minced)
parsley (flakes)
oregano (flakes or powdered)
1 lemon

Directions:
Chips:
1. Slice the potatoes (with a mandolin, vegetable slicer, or by hand...like I did), Julienne cut or wedges. Once you're done, soak in a large bowl of water for approximately 30 minutes.
2. Heat up a large skillet (medium to high heat) and spray some vegetable non-stick spray.
3. Place the potatoes on the skilled, and turn them until they are golden brown and look crunchy.
4. Once they're done, turn off the stove, and place on a plate. The potatoes are not done yet...stick them in the microwave for approximately 3 to 5 minutes (remember not all microwaves work the same). You don't want to leave them in for too long, though, cause then they'll just get soggy.
5. Ding fries are done  -- time to season the fries. I used pepper and paprika. I like it spicy ;)

note: It's easier to do the chips in the oven, but, my oven was occupied at the time :-P

Fish:
1. Place fish in a steamer, that is, if you have one of those fancy steamer...steaming...thingies. But, if you are old school like me: fill a casserole with water, and set aside to boil. Once it's boiling, place the steamer lid over it. Spray some vegetable non-stick spray and place the fish on the steamer lid. 
2. Squeeze the lemon over the fish.
3. Season the fish: brush on the minced garlic, sprinkle with some oregano, ground pepper, and parsley flakes.
4. Place the lid over the steamer, and let it steam for 7 - 10 minutes.

And you're done! I think I explained it thoroughly....this is my first food entry, so, take it easy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment